Visualizing work priority is a key concept in Kanban. CW Kanban makes it easy to view and change the rank of a card. Simply drag and drop the ticket to a new position in its column. The rank will be updated on all boards that show the card.
To move a card to the top or bottom of a column, click the card ellipse menu and click Send to Top or Send to Bottom.
Why Rank Tickets?
Two major ideas in Kanban are:
- Work is pulled by technicians instead of pushed to technicians. Tickets are started as technicians are available; new work is not scheduled on a calendar.
- Visualizing work- being able to clearly see the state of work items.
Ranking fulfills these ideas by:
- Making it clear which ticket should be picked next in a pull-based system. Technicians know which column contains the prioritized list of cards and always pick new work from the top of that column.
- Making it clear at a glance which tickets are highest priority and will be chosen next in a pull-based system.
If you're not ranking tickets in CW Kanban, then you're using a Kanban board but not using Kanban methods. We encourage you to begin ranking tickets and pulling work instead of pushing it, as this is how you achieve the efficiency gains promised by Kanban. For further information, read these articles from our 12 Weeks to Kanban series:
- Our blog: How your MSP techs can always work on the #1 priority, without wasting time scheduling
- Implementing a Pull System with Kanban
Understanding Ranking in CW Kanban
If you move a card above another card, the higher priority card will appear above the lower priority card on every board where the cards appear in the same column. Because Kanban boards can have a variety of filters and column configurations, changing the rank of two cards on one board may have no effect on the order of the two cards on another board- for example, if the cards appear in separate columns on another board. And even though two cards are adjacent on one board, on a different board other cards may appear between those two cards. This is normal and reflects the flexibility of CW Kanban's board design.
If a board has a view filter applied, then any tickets that are hidden by the filter are not considered when changing a card's rank. For example, if a filter hides the top card in a column, and a user moves a new ticket to the top position, and then the view filter is removed, then the original top card may still be at the top, and the card moved by the user may be second. If you need to rank tickets to the very top or bottom of a column, you should first clear any view filters on your board.
The order of the cards in a column is not based on the priority of the ticket. Ranking is set only by dragging the cards in a column.
There is a global priority list for tickets and a separate list for opportunities; since tickets and opportunities cannot be shown on the same board, they are ranked independently.
Card rankings are stored in CW Kanban. Rank data is not part of the ConnectWise ticket or opportunity record.